Saturday, January 26, 2008

Lucky Number 13

Number 13 is beginning to be a significance in my life so far. For one thing, my index number is 13. Every Deal or No Deal game has me choosing case number 13 and it has had $250,000 in it TWICE throughout the whole gameshow, if you have noticed. Yesterday, this number has become officially my number, the number that defines who I am because, I received L1R5 of 13! I am ecstatic! So are my whole extended family, which was what I truly wanted, to make them proud. Although several of my friends did do better than me, I didn't care really. I was just overwhelmed with excitement with my own personal success, which is pretty odd coming from me, being the competitive one always. But, you know, you win some, you lose some, that's life. You can't always get what you want. But in this case, somehow, my competitive ego was shoved to the side and the pleasant side of me took over, congratulating my friends genuinely for their successes, and myself for doing my best.
I did realise something on the day of the results, though. Olevel is one of the very few examinations that take place on a plain field. Well of course not literally but we are all equal in Olevels' eyes. It doesn't matter who you are as a person or how well you have done so far in school, whether you handed in the over- dued projects 2 years ago or if you've backstabbed a friend back in 2004. It really just boils down to that one paper. Having said that, there were quite a few pleasant surprises. Like Theophilus, snagging top positions in both English Language and Elective Literature! And Denise Chan who has achieved 10 points and Zheng Jie 9 points! Aqila also achieved 12 points, kicking my ass by 1 point. Congratulations to all!
They really made me put my life into perspective now. What I did, or didn't do in the past really does not matter nor will it ever define me. It's now that counts.
To those who did not really achieve your target aggregate, no need to fret for it is not the end of the world. Accept your results with dignity, dry those tears and make wise second moves. Maybe it's not your time to shine yet. But you will in the next phase of your life.
Remember, life is good. It gives us second chances.

Alhamdulillah.


Know this: It is very unlucky to have a dinner table set for 13 people. It is believed that the first person to leave the table will die within a year. Some people believe the death of Jesus proves this.