Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Confession

I am ashamed that looks matter to me as much as they do. I cannot seem to get pass one's appearance and judge them based solely on who they truly are, inside. I acknowledge their admirable characters, but I can be rather bothered with that 10% of imperfection.
It is easy to frown upon those who blatantly showcase their hatred and utter disgust towards people who do not necessarily meet the universal standards of beauty. It is almost cliche to say that true beauty lies within. More often than not, these are plainly words we speak of so that people will not judge us for our superficiality. In reality, unfortunately, we never really practice this morally proper conduct, do we? We find it challenging and at times impossible. Let us all admit for once that at one point or another, we judge people on the way they look. And it is a shame. How is it that despite knowing that what we do is wrong, we keep judging anyway? It does not even make me feel good or better about myself. It is almost inherent.
So this is my confession- I am a shallow person. And I am sorry. I realise that I too have physical flaws and it is time for a change. I never really understood how the privileged few are able to overlook one's physical appearance. I applaud them. But to those who just claim that looks do not matter and yet judge, I plead that you confess your sins. I believe that there is not a particular module or technique that can guide us out of this embarrassing behaviour. The transition has to be natural. It must not be a conscious effort, for to ignore is not the same as to not notice.To say that one is ugly but you do not care is not the same as to praise someone for their deeds and characters, with no reference at all to the physique for it must not occur to you to an extent where it is even worth mentioning.
We have to change before we miss out on the good things that pass us by. The good in people are not in their appearance. And good looks do not equate a good heart either.
I hope that we will be able to see other people in a new and better light, especially to those who deserve it. With this new-found clarity that of a crystal, we might find what we have always been looking for.


I thought it would be significant to post on this unique and special day- 20082008.

Know this: The colour blue has a calming effect. It causes the brain to release calming hormones.