Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Service Learning on 26th August

On that special day, my classmates and I headed down to Evergreen Primary School to spend time with the under-privileged kids there. We were warned of their potential hyperness and their lack of co-operation. Still, we were not exactly prepared for what we had to face when they actually arrived to meet us.
My group in particular was exceptionally difficult to handle. They were running all over the place while some of their members were playing the games. I was rather disappointed in some for not wanting to participate in any of the games enthusiastically. I had to beg, plead and grovel so that our efforts in planning for the activties will not be in vain.
Suddenly, I had flashbacks of when I was a councillor in my secondary school and had to handle the fresh-meat kids in their orientation. It was so stressful that once I was actually in tears. Handling a group of kids by yourself can really take a toll on you. It is emotionally draining and you often feel like screaming at them. But you never should resort to that. Take a deep breath, let out a litte tear if you must, and persevere. At one point or another, they will listen to you. It just takes patience and sheer sincerity to get through to them.
Despite all the hardships, there were a few heart-warming moments with the children. There were some really adorable ones and those very co-operative who actually helped me hunt for their missing members. They even consoled two of my group members who were upset. I had two members who cried!
I must especially point out Syafiq, this potentially good-looking boy, who actually thanked me and my friends for coming down. He was also the most co-operative one there. A simple gesture of gratitude and I knew that my experience there was worthwhile because it had impacted at least one of them.
Overall, it was a great experience for me. And I am not just saying that. It was such an eye-opening experience working with kids with a unique background, an opportunity that I have never before been given. And I am grateful that I am now equipped with a sense of understanding and empathy for these children, who often give you a hard time, in public or wherever.
So when a kid is misbehaving right in front of you, just think "He must come from a broken family." That will refrain you from picking up the nearest steel chair and hitting him incessantly with it.
Hope your service learning was as fruitful.
Here are the captured memories... Enjoy!

Syafiq (Told you he was a cutie!)

And yes... Selamat Berpuasa to all Muslims.

Know this: 44% of kids watch television before they go to sleep.