Saturday, November 15, 2008

Rihanna's Concert was Awesome!

On the 13th of November, my sister, her best friend and her best friend's sisters and I went to the Rihanna! concert. It fell on my auspicious and favourite number, so I just had to go. I must say, I had one of the best times of my life. I danced my ass off and sang my heart out. I waved my hands from side to side, just like Rihanna told us to, and jumped when she jumped. Rihanna was so beautiful. She looked as flawless as she does on television. I was so mesmerized. Her sweet and sultry voice filled the Indoor Stadium.
Of course, there were some undesirable events that happened along the way, all the more making the day a memorable one indeed. Firstly, my sister and I hailed a cab driven by a typical old man, who was not in favour of the night life, nothing of the partying and 'let's have fun at a concert' sort, unfortunately. He was bitter throughout the trip, complaining that there might not be space for him to park his cab since it was going to be crowded with teenagers who were only looking forward to having a good time. He also almost got into a fight with another cab driver next to us, who was on the verge on scratching his 'million dollar' taxi. He cheated by sister with the cab fare, of about $4. It was horrible! He was horrible.
Then when we reached the North Entrance of the Indoor Stadium, we were greeted with good news, as we were upgraded to much better seats than we actually paid for. And it was free seating too so being early birds, we got hold of the best seats in our area, the centre block and centre seats. It was perfect. Of course, it was too good to be true, when a lady, who was actually quite well-mannered, albeit calculative, demanded that 3 of the seats we took were hers. The ushers must not have informed her that it was free seating, so first-come-first-served, or rather, you-snooze-you-lose, we all thought. Except for this other lady who decided to 'express' her unwelcomed opinion on the situation and protested that the seats be surrendered to the other lady. Lucky for us, the usher that 'attempted' to mediate the situation, panicked and solved the problem by moving us even further up to the stage. It was unbelievable! We were so near to the stage, yet we paid for seats on the last row of the whole entire stadium! Gosh, talk about a blessing in disguise. Of course, we all were nervous as we sat in those seats, worried that more people might come in and claim that those seats were theirs. In the end, all was good. The ushers signalled the closing of the doors and the best time of my teenage life officially began.
However, the mishaps did not stop there. The opening song was 'Disturbia', which we were all so excited for. Then her microphone stopped working! She was so mad. She stormed to the side of the stage where the technicians were and gave them one hell of a scolding, while the song was still playing. She then marched to the centre of the stage after rolling her eyes at the technicians. It was all caught on the big screens! I was terrified, thinking that she would no longer be in the mood to continue with the concert, considering her opening act was a total mess. She ended up just dancing and waving to the beat of the song, while the back-up singers continued singing. Fortunately, she was cool about the whole technical glitch. She was smiling to us and the audience sort of sang the song for her. It was amazing. When her microphone did work, she apologized on behalf of the crew. She even had a sense of humour about it, and I was glad that it was HER people that screwed up, not Singapore. It would have been a bad first impression if it were to have been Singaporean technicians in-charged of the microphones, considering it was her first time performing on our island.
After all the madness, Rihanna performed all of my favourite songs, including those that I am just beginning to be very fond of because of the concert. It is so difficult deciding on a favourite performance as I enjoyed every single one of them. The upbeat songs were great to dance to and the slow ones were nice to sing-along to. I had the time of my life during all the performances. She even sang Live Your Life, "ain't got no time for no haters, just live your life". I especially loved it when she held her microphone to the crowd and they began singing. It was so sad to see her wave goodbye after performing her smash hit 'Umbrella'. Strangely, I miss her so much. And, I know it was awfully silly of me to actually expect my boyfriend, I mean her boyfriend, Chris Brown, to somehow jump out and surprise us all with a performance of his own and then after, a duet with Rihanna. I did not put my hopes up too high inspite of all the tempting rumours spurred on by the radio stations, about Chris Brown travelling to Singapore alongside Rihanna. It did not happen. I was disappointed, just a tad bit. But the awesome-ness of the whole concert pretty much made up for it. The glaring and colourful lights, the blasting sound-system and THE Rihanna, for crying out loud! It was surreal. Maybe next time, Chrissy boy, dear, my love, forever!
The concert lasted for an hour and then the stadium emptied. Outside, there were other celebrities we chanced upon who were also apparently fans of Rihanna. We met Nurul Aini, Nurfasarie and Shan Wee! I was so star-strucked despite having been in the same room as Rihanna just moments before. Well, it was different. We got to be so close to these people, we got to talk to them and even took pictures with them, not of them. So it was a different kind of excitement. Nurul was so funny and friendly. They both were very gorgeous. A pleasure meeting them both.
I shall end of with a declaration that I, indubiously, had a blast during the concert, all thanks to Rihanna and my sister, who generously sponsored the wonderful opportunity for me. Thank you!

Have a nice one...
In the 'Bad' Cab

Our view from our First Seats

The Beautiful Rihanna enters...

Shut Up and Drive

Rihanna waves goodbye to Singapore

Mummy, it's over!

Me, My sister, Nuraini, Siti and Haslina

Us with the Model-esque Nurul and the Stunning Nurfasarie

Still star-strucked. Can you tell?

Anyway, my 14-year-old cousin headed off to Hong Kong today, for a CCA leadership training camp. So proud of him for being selected. It will be his first plane flight. I wish him good health and good luck. Have fun lil' cuz!

Know this: If you lock your knee while standing long enough, you will pass out.