Saturday, January 24, 2009

Kita Orang Melayu

Dikir Barat with my fellow Malay Cultural Society during yesterday's Chinese New Year Celebration in SA was phenomenal, to say the least. The energy, the adrenaline rush... It was indeed a fantastic feeling. The fact that we were able to pull this whole thing off with time constraints, conflicting schedules and hectic time-tables, is unbelievable and very commendable, I must say. Though it was not we-can-so-thrash-other-dikir-barat-groups-in-SYF great, the audience was absolutely entertained, which was what really mattered in the end. A memorable performance for them, as well as for us.
I must admit, in that moment, and all the times that we spent practicing together especially on the full dress rehearsal day, I was very proud to be malay. The stereotypes and prejudice about the malays prevalent in the society today really do make it hard for me to feel proud all the time. Given opportunities like these, I am more than glad to showcase to people the 'semangat' of the malays. We may not be known for our intelligence or lucrative professions, but I believe that the malays are instrinsically good-natured; we are truthful... to say a few. Of course there will be those that go astray, but that is only a fraction of us.
Being heavily influenced by the Western culture through the media, it is unfortunate that I never initiate opportunities like these to fall in love with my own culture. It is unfortunate that I need to be reminded of how endearing my culture can be, during Hari Raya(s) and malay performances. Really, it is not my fault considering what we are constantly exposed to when we walk in Orchard Road or on the steps of Marina Square leading to the Esplanade.
However, I now realise that I have always loved being a Malay. That is why my closest and best friends are of this race, that is why I am always excited to go for Malay lessons, and enjoy it most when I showcase traditional performances, rather than Western dances. Honestly, the CCA I wanted to be in Junior College has always been Malay Dance. Unfortunately SAJC does not offer that. So MCS will do.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my deepest gratitude to Jannah for everything-- from the choreography, the garnering of overwhelming support from our fellow malay student body in SA, to the costumes! You are great. You are amazing. And of course the rest of the dikir barat performers for their dedication and co-operation. You guys really came through this time. The performance did much more for me than just an opportunity to be on stage. It made be believe in the Malays. For someone like me, it is huge.

Know this: In an agricultural society, the dikir barat was performed as a ritual or celebration of the rice harvest season.