Monday, May 18, 2009

Great Expectations

Aside from the unfortunate fact that I have a test based on this book by Charles Dickens tomorrow, this title also very much applies to my life right now. No, I shan't bore you with my hopes, dreams and aspirations. I tend to weave these between my other posts anyway.
However, it struck me these days not to have high expectations on some people, especially when they have let you down once before. You pretend not to care because these people are just not worth your concern and what did not happen must not be dwelled upon, but the truth of the matter is, you care. And you care, a lot. Especially when it is the only thing you look forward to the whole mundane day; the only thing that will make the whole journey to school worthwhile. Yes, I realised that one's happiness should not be placed into the hands of other people. Because, just as they have the power to make your life seem a brighter place, they have the power to to take that away from you as well. Then what happens? What happens to you, then?
School has been really rough lately with the major examinations emerging once again. At times like these, the smallest glimmer of hope for a better day is crucial. Very very crucial. I suggest everyone should take the opportunity to make someone's day every day. A smile or any other friendly gestures will suffice, I'm sure. Remember to be kind. Everyone's struggling.
So make my day. I'm counting on you.
Know this: In ancient Rome it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.