Monday, November 19, 2007

Built To Last

I've never been in a relationship. Years of observing the relationships of others have helped me realise what I truly want. I want a commitment. Most of the people my age claimed that having a partner is about having fun and experimenting. Date as many people as you want, they told me. I concluded from their suggestions that from the day they hooked up with somebody, the inevitable end of their relationship is already in sight. My question is, why start something when you know it's going to end someday? I would rather spend my teenage life with somebody I can see a future with. So when we do reach the alter or for my case the 'pelamin', I would have known him inside and out. I would have known his favourite ice cream flavour and he would have known my favourite love song. By then, we would have all the memories of our past and we would have grown together. More importantly, there is trust. Essentially, I want someone who wants the same things that I want. So until then, good things come to those who wait. I'd rather be single than be with someone who I can't see loving. So when I do find the perfect man, I could honestly say he is my 'One and Only.' Love is a strong word. Never use it with such apathy or it will lose its value. Save it for when you really mean it and your partner will get to know that you really do.
Hence I name this post 'Built to Last', directly inspired by the song by Melee. Also below, I've included a quote and I simply could not have said it better myself.

"Find a guy who calls you beautiful instead of hot, who calls you back when you hang up on him, who will lie under the stars and listen to your heartbeat, or will stay awake just to watch you sleep…wait for the boy who kisses your forehead, who wants to show you off to the world when you are in sweats, who holds your hand in front of his friends, who thinks you’re just as pretty without makeup on. One who is constantly reminding you of how much he cares and how lucky he is to have you….the one who turns to his friends and says, “That’s her.”"

Know this: Sudden love is the hardest to cure.