Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Flash Backs

Recently, I went back to school to receive an Edusave Merit Bursary Award. While I was seated among other recipients waiting eagerly to just get the cash and go home, my heart simply skipped a beat when I heard the emcee announc that the Flame Dancers from my school would be performing a song entitled 'I Believe'. There are many songs entitled 'I Believe', one of which was once performed by the Student Council girls and I in 2006, then there is also of course 'I Believe' by Tata Young. I reckoned that Tata Young's song was much more popular and it had a video even. The one I performed was taken off from the movie 'Honey' starring Jessica Alba. It was not really a debut hit. All of a sudden, a familiar beat filled the school hall. The Flame Dancers, as amateur as they are, used that song for their performance! Flash backs starting flooding in my head, and my palms were sweating. It brought me back to the days I spent with the girls to rehearse the steps together. I would not consider the dance as remarkably fantastic, but everyone was praising us. So respectfully and humbly, we thanked them anyway. We did work hard to master the choreography from the movie itself. It was even a harder challenge for me as I had to first learn the choreography and then break them down to teach the girls. Unfortunately, the Flame Dancers did not do the song justice. Actually they never really did any song they performed justice. Once, they performed 'My Love' by Justin Timberlake, only to be soon labelled the 'Lame Dancers' or the 'Phlegm Dancers. Those poor girls. Better luck next time. And remember never EVER re-use a song that had been performed before, especially when those performers had set the bars too high for your reach.

Here's our performance back in 2006 starring (in front): Siti, Aneza (back from left): Aqila, Me, Nadia, Cheryl, Nurul and Priscilla


Know this: A snail can sleep for 3 years.