Saturday, January 12, 2008

Missing Out? I Think Not.

In the beginning, I was pretty adament that I was not going to hunt for a holiday job. I had some reasonable backing for that decision. First of all, I promised myself a well- deserved break, in which I will sleep as late as I wanted to, do whatever I wanted to do and catch up on things that I had missed out on because of school, such as this very blogging thing and shopping. Secondly, 3-weeks was not enough to build a reputation in a workplace. It would just feel wrong to resign after just 3- weeks. As an employer, I would be pissed- off if my employee decided to quit after such a short period of time. Now I am seeing, hearing and reading of most of my friends working. I am starting to feel dubious about my laze.
Not long ago, I went to school to collect some stuff and I ran into a teacher, Ms Tay. She asked me about my current status, whether I had signed up for the 3- weeks JC program. When I replied no, she immediately assumed that I was working. When I told her no again, she said ' So just bumming around lah?' Her tone was so judgemental, as if it was such a crime. I replied to her, 'More like enjoying the holidays.' She gave a smirk and walked away.
That encounter made me question my decision to relax and spend more time at home. Do I always have to be doing something respectable? What was worse, she judged me when I responded with a 'shocking' answer, as if it was expected of me to work.
I might be blowing this out of proportion. I guess I was too used to be the one everyone pats on the back in school all these time. I was always involved in the school productions, which was always handed to me. The teachers are probably concerned if I will be able to grab an opportunity myself someday. Well, I assure them, I am a go- getter. The main reasons why I chose not to work this holiday is because firstly, I don't need the money. I was able to snag $250 from my Merit Bursary because I had already worked my ass off in school to achieve good grades. Secondly, I have much better things to do, such as going shopping with my beloved family, one thing that I did not really get to do often because of my million and one commitments in school.
To those who have a vacay- job, good for you. The pay can really come in handy.
As for those who don't, breathe in and savour the holiday. We might never get to again.

Know this: "Speak of the Devil" is short for "Speak of the Devil and he shall come". It was believed that if you spoke about the Devil it would attract his attention. That's why when you're talking about someone and they show up people say "Speak of the Devil."