Friday, February 22, 2008

When the Saints came Marching In

St. Andrew JC's orientation was all right. I made quite a few new friends and my OG is cool, so laid back and steady. Somehow I really regret not joining the PAE, 1st 1- month trial. Apparently, I have a lot to catch up with. Not only with the curriculum but the whole school compound too. Where the hell are the Lecture Theatres, man? They never really gave us a tour of the school. I guess the 2nd intakes have to figure out the compound along the way. The school song is even a blur to me, since 'We pledge to thee...' was the only school song that I have sung for the past 10 years of my life. So, I am currently getting use to practically everything. I really hope that I can catch up with the rest when lesson begins. This is all new to me, especially since I did not enter the PAE system. We have to purchase lecture notes and whatever, no books. A lot of self- study it seems.
This is it. I have to work triply harder than the rest. I am really thankful that I have friends like Huihui (new) and Chow Zhi Wei (KCP ex-mate), who both went for the PAE trial, to help me out. Never before have I ever been the one lagging behind. I have always been ahead someway or another. I absolutely hate this feeling. But, something tells me that everything is going to be fine. I know I am just as good as everyone else there. And more importantly, I know I am not the only one feeling anxious and experiencing a total culture- shock. Truly, the one thing that kept me calm each time I enter the college is the school's motto 'Nobody is here by chance.' The motto really hit me because just as I thought that I wasn't suppose to be there among all the 9- pointers (raw score, mind you!), I found a friend who scored the same L1R5 as me and I realise that she too felt pressured. I have this other friend who told me that this whole JC life doesn't seem real to her. I really could relate to these people and I am grateful that I am not alone. We got into SAJC because we have proven once before that we could do well. So now we have to prove that we can do it again and again! The potential is in us-- in me.
I can do this.

Know this: A dragonfly has a life span of 24 hours.