Monday, March 31, 2008

One for the Road

Since I am certain that I will not be updating my blog until probably next Friday, I shall put up a post now-- one for the road.
I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, albeit the Mount Everest of assignments. I thought about my choice of CCA and the unmentionables. With regards to my CCA, it is such an irony that I hate running but I am in Track and Field. Well, actually I hate running distance. I hate the chest pains I incur, the headaches due to the lack of oxygen supply to my brain. However, I love sprints. 'Get it over and done with' kind of runs. I love being fast and winning (that is if I'm leading the pact). The coach introduced himself as the national short-distance trainer in the secondary and junior college levels. Impressive, huh? That means he can mould me into the best sprinter that I can possibly be. But does that also mean that his demand will be higher, too high for me to achieve? With that, I am worried. Afraid. I do not want to fail him or myself. My senior told me that the coach is rather soft- spoken, NEVER raised his voice. That is a good thing. I am glad. But why am I still having mixed feelings about my choice. Student Council nominations are due, so that is out of the question. Will I continue to be unhappy and dread going to track and field in my 2 years in SAJC? Will I always be hoping and praying that my phone will buzz with a message 'Track is cancelled,' right before every training? To come to think of it, I have never really liked any of my CCAs in my primary as well as secondary schools. Nevertheless, I still pulled through and the satisfaction I get from getting through those times is indescribable. Furthermore, the bad days were always fun to rant about in the long run. Like, 'Remember that time when the stupid- ass coach told us to run up and down the stairs 10 times? Damn tired siah! I'm surpised we lived to tell the tale.' And for that, I realise that I have always been committed to everything that I am supposed to do, no matter how much I may despise it. I endured then, and I shall endure again. You see, even when I absolutely hated running distance, I knew it is the right thing to do, it is for the sake of my health. That is why I managed to be more disciplined in my actions. The rationale behind everything that I do has to be beneficial and relevant. Besides, no words can describe the satisfaction of knowing that we have made it all the way through the 'ordeals' in one piece. It truly makes you a stronger person. But I still quietly hope that no good thing will be difficult for anybody to do.
Regarding the 'unmentionables', all I can say is I did my research on someone and the outcome is bittersweet.
I am finally free, for they are not the same.

Know this: A hippopotamus can run faster than a man can. (By the way, I have a bizarre fear for hippos.)