Sunday, June 8, 2008

Track and Field Camp

Last Monday, right after my CIP, I had to pack for my Track camp. I was exhausted by then of course, considering I have been on the move since the Pre- University camp. My bed and I only slept together once before I had to head for the CCA camp in school.
Honestly, I was not looking forward to it. But I am glad that through the camp, I got to know my fellow track members better, especially the distance- runners. You see, the sprinters, throwers and distance do not train together. So I barely recognize half of them, let alone know their names! Strangely, most of them knew me. Well, cannot blame them since I am fabulous. Kidding! I am the only malay in the team and one of the very very few sprinter girls. That's right. I am little Miss Po-pu-lar! Kidding, again!
We played several interesting games, such as the Treasure Hunt. Jason, one of my fellow sprinter senior is so hilarious. He kept chasing Mun Kidd. Funny, funny boy! I was really glad he was in my team. He kept the whole activity entertaining. And Roy is funny in a subtle way. Somehow, he was the most competitive in our team. He really wanted to win each and everyone of the games. Told you he was funny. He also could not remember the school song. Considering that he was a senior, it was pretty hilarious. In one activity, we had to complete the first verse of the school song, each member of the group singing only one word at a time. So it went, "Lives" "are" "in" "the" "making" "here" "Hearts" "are" "in" "the" "waking" "here" "Mighty" "undertaking" and Roy went "go". I cracked up so hard. It did not rhyme, Roy. Even if you do not know the words to the song, you can still rhyme, can't you? He is such a funny guy. Caring too. He cheered me on during Zhi Hao's "special" training.
Zhi Hao's interval training was indeed special. I learnt a lot, such as peserverance, endurance, teamwork and more importantly, minding my manners.
Oddly, we had plenty of time to rest during our camp. We had about 2 hours of free time after our lunch. The breaks were meant for the seniors to mug for their upcoming Block Tests. You should have seen them, with their notes, at 1 in the morning. I admire them so much. It made me feel bad too since I was not doing any revision.
Day 3 was just breakfast, area cleaning and home. I was glad it ended quick. I really wanted my bed, my home and my family.
During the camp, Ms Tan announced the main team. My name was not called, sadly. But it is okay. I am okay. I know I am not ready anyway. I have not even gotten my spikes! Better luck next year, I hope. To those who did make it, such as Shawn, Ying Lun, Monique and Weng, the best of luck. Do wear that Team SAJC shirt with pride. You guys really do deserve them.
For now, I really hope my shins get better soon. So that I can train and reach my potential. Ms Tan did say that many of the seniors had to go through a lot of shin splints before they can be where they are today. I guess, these are all parts and parcels to being the best runner I can be. I will have to peservere on. I can do this! Ice my shins every night and I am good to go. Wish me luck! Let's go. Up and on!

Know this: A primary culprit causing shin splints is a sudden increase in distance or intensity of a workout schedule.