Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Every Morning

Every morning, at 6.40am I make my way to the bus-stop. I'll wait for the bus for about 3 minutes. Every morning, the pretty model-esque lady will wait with me. She has a tattoo of a flower on her right ankle and another tattoo of stars on her left foot. I noticed them because I thought they were rather tasteful. She bathes every morning as it is evident with her wet and shampooed- smelling her. Once, she sheltered me into the bus when it was raining heavily. Although I had brought an umbrella on that particular day, I packed it away knowing that a few seconds in the rain as I board the bus will not kill. But she insisted that I take her offer. So I did and thanked her graciously. Every morning, I look forward to her out-fit. She has great fashion style and a good figure. When the bus sends us to the bus interchange, she will walk ahead of me towards the MRT station. She glances at her reflection at the store windows. So do I, at my own reflection. We never spoke. But I know I will be concerned if I do not see her at the bus-stop, one day.
Every morning, at 6.40am, a boy from another JC makes his way to the bus-stop too. Make no mistake, he is not my type. Once, he injured his foot so he put on sandals for about a week. Together, we will wait for the bus to arrive. Most of the time, after alighting I walk ahead of him. So I am not sure where he goes after alighting the bus. He looks friendly. I too will ponder if he disappears one fateful morning.
Every morning at 6.40am, I wait patiently for the traffic at the primary school carpark to clear. The security guards/ traffic police will give me a signal, gesturing that I can cross. They are rather old. One time, one of the two guards whispered "Hurry, or you will miss the bus." I was intently listening to my MP3, as so he thought. I could tell he did not expect me to hear it. It was more like a silent prayer, hoping that I will make it in time for the bus. I glanced over, and he missed my eye-contact. I walked on like it never happened. Secretly, I thanked him for being so concerned. I missed that bus. But another one came not long after. I hope he felt relieved.
One time, a bus arrived at the bus-stop before I did. Confident that I will not make it, I strolled to the bus-stop. Suddenly, I realised that the bus was not moving. No one was alighting, neither was there anyone boarding it. It took me a while before I realised that that kind bus driver was waiting for me. I have seen him before so he must be aware of my schedule. I smiled and thanked him politely. He reciprocated with a nod and a smile. What a kind man, I thought.
My routine every morning causes me to formulate these subtle attachments to the people I see every single day. Unknowingly, they are my friends. We do not text each other to meet at the bus-stop. It is instinctive. They become a part of my morning. I hope I am a part of theirs too. I will see them again tomorrow, and the next day. I will see them every morning.
Know this: Spiders usually have eight eyes, but still they cannot see that well.