Thursday, July 24, 2008

Urticaria

Urticaria is more commonly known as Hives. I have experienced it twice in my life, and it is still 2 times too many. Hives are raised, itchy areas around the skin which are usually a sign of allergic reaction.
The first experience was one of the worst experiences of my entire life. I have never had an allergic reaction before, and the first time I encountered it, I was shocked beyond words. It spread to my calves, my thighs, my arms, my neck and even my face. I went to the doctor and he gave me effective pills. I was fine the very night I took the pills after a long nap. Recently, I experienced it again, after attending a Mendaki Seminar. It must have been the food served in the hotel that I was allergic to. I am still having blemishes on my legs. So I skipped track training twice this week, for fear that my reaction will inflame again to unsightly conditions. To make matters worse, I have having a very sore throat. Even my neck is sore.
Still, I feel guilty having to skip so many trainings. It is so contradictory that I want to do my best in this CCA and yet I am absent in most of the trainings. I was never this irresponsible in secondary school. By any means, I will get my ass to Netball training. What is happening to me? Who is this I am becoming? The number of times I have been absent from track training exceeds the number of time I missed Netball training my whole entire 4 years of secondary school. I am ashamed of myself. I want to apologise so many times but to whom, I am unsure. I tell myself I will not skip anymore trainings, but I end up missing a couple more the following week.Then I convince myself that my reasons were valid, be it that my class was down to support the other CCAs at their matches, or I had to study for Common Tests or I have a shin splint or that I am having Hives. Ultimately, when I reach home and watch the clock strike 5pm, I feel utmost guilt for not being there with the rest of my track members. I feel that I have disappointed the coach, who has been nothing but nice to me.
I believe that if you have done nothing wrong, there is no guilt. And yet I feel guilty every single time I am not down on the track at 5pm. Frankly, physical pain on the track during training is far less torturous then this guilt I am undeniably feeling.

This would be the perfect time to just die.

Know this: Foods that can cause urticaria include-
Nuts
Eggs
Fresh fruits (especially citrus)
Chocolates
Fish and shellfish
Tomatoes
Milk and cheese
Spices
Yeasts