Saturday, May 2, 2009

That Special Saturday

Yup, they got me GOOD! Last Saturday, I had the surprise of my life! I met up with my secondary school friends, expecting nothing more than just a wonderful reunion, only to be shocked by a birthday surprise they had secretly planned for me. I was caught off guard and was completely oblivious from the beginning. It was funny how everything turned out as planned despite the heat and us wanting to seek shelter, desperately. But we persevered on across the bridge, under the scorching sun, towards the Merlion and to the One Fullerton Starbucks, where Nurul and Afiqa(!) were waiting for the rest of us with the ultra-delicious ice-cream cake. By the way, I totally fell for the whole Nurul comforting her crying friend scenario! I was so hesitant to disturb their little intervention. Anyway, I never had an ice-cream cake before (how thoughtful, considering how hot it was that day, like any other day lately), let alone one that was for me. In fact, I never even had a surprise birthday party for me before. *Cue the violins. Well, I do now and it happened on the significant Legal-18 year. We had cake and chatted at Starbucks over-looking the beautiful scenery of the murky Singapore river, the construction site of the Integration Resort at Marina Bay and of course the esplanade. We took a lot of photos against the clear blue skies. We were sweating like shit and had to squint our eyes because of the bright bright sun, all for a good- quality picture. The lighting is best when it is under natural light, so must tahan, I say! Man, they don't call this tiny island 'Sunny Singapore' for nothing.
Then we headed to Cathay and ate at Astons, another wonderful spot for dining with a great view. I really should explore Singapore more, because as a Singaporean, I simply don't venture this island enough. All these places I have never been before and am absolutely clueless about! How embarrassing... But I can't help it when I never seem to get bored with Toa Payoh Hub.
Then we headed to Orchard Road to have a drink at Starbucks. And yet another great hang-out spot. So lomantik, you! It was not crowded at all and very comfortable. My kinda place! Seriously, I should go out more.
When heading home, Aqila and I shared our deepest and darkest secrets. Well, deep and dark for me only, perhaps. At our usual hang-out spot, we chilled and chat from 9pm to 11pm talking about our dirty little secrets. But like we agreed, whatever happened there, stays there, girl! It was a special Saturday for me indeed. Way way much more than I bargained for and I am truly grateful to have thoughtful and cool (yes, Jo Bros & Miley fans ARE cool too) friends like them. Always keeping it real. And Afiqa was a great surprise, man! I haven't seen her for like a thousand years! And I am happy that she is still that happy-go-lucky girl that I have always known her to be. You know, Afiqa and I go way back, and I hope to see her again soon. Thank you girls for that wonderful time. And remember, never drink too much before your main course arrives. (*winks) I was shocked, can you tell?
Wishing for a million dollars (yeah, like I will tell you what I really wished for)... I think my exact reaction was "Mmmmm..."
We were VERY inspired by this picture. So...
We adopted it and call it the 'Sean Kingston head-swing' Pose.


There's nothing quite like them.

Know this: On the day that Alexander Graham Bell was buried the entire US telephone system was shut down for 1 minute in tribute.